View full site Menu
What is Sports Bank?
We know that people who participate in community sport and recreation are happier, healthier and can generally expect to live longer than people who don’t.
Despite the many benefits; some members of our community are much less likely to be involved in sport than others due to various circumstances.
Sport and Recreation Victoria is getting on with initiatives that create more participation opportunities for all Victorians, including building a more sustainable and inclusive Sport and Recreation sector.
Some barriers to participation have been recognised as:
- Disability / Lack of inclusivity
- Low socioeconomic background
We also know that one of the main barriers to active participation is cost.
Sports Bank has been established to make Community Sport and Recreation more accessible to people facing financial barriers to increase participation throughout the community. The Scheme provides interest free loans to eligible applicants to assist with covering upfront sporting costs such as registration fees, uniforms, equipment and training.
The aim of Sports Bank is to provide an ongoing solution to an ongoing problem, a sustainable resource that supports and encourages lifelong participation in community sport and recreation and a happier and healthier South West.
No Interest Loan Scheme?
The No Interest Loan Scheme provides an interest free loan for those on low incomes. to assist with access to participate in Sport and Recreation. There are no hidden costs to the applicant.
What Can Be Funded?
- Sporting goods such as equipment and uniforms
- Payment of Sporting Club memberships
- Payment of Sporting Club registration fees
- Financial assistance for participation in elite sporting and training activities
- Coaching and umpiring courses.
(Please see Eligible Items Information Sheet below).
Successful applicants will sign a payment plan agreement, allowing repayments to be made fortnightly to the South West Sports account via Centrepay Deductions. A time frame for repayments will be negotiated with each applicant.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
- To be eligible, applicants or their families must be the holder of a current healthcare card or low income card
- Disability support pension or in receipt of a disability payment or allowance.
- Exceptional circumstances may be considered.
I’m Eligible, How can I Apply?
Application forms are available for download below or via e-mail
For further information or to make an appointment, contact the office via e-mail or call us on (03) 5561 1689.
South West Sport will assess each application and notify both successful and unsuccessful applicants.
Sports Bank Application Form:
Eligible Items Information Sheet: