View full site Menu
Check Governing Body Requirements
There are three key governing bodies your club needs to check with before coming back to play;
- The Victorian State Government have outlined guidance for the safe re-opening of sport and recreation.
- The webpage below includes “Industry Restart Guidelines” for Community Sport which includes relevant restrictions in place.
- Sector guidance for sport, Exercise and Physical Recreation Services: https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/sport-exercise-and-physical-recreation-services-sector-guidance
- Your local council may have additional restrictions or requirements which your club will need to adhere to.
- Warrnambool City Council: www.warrnambool.vic.gov.au/coronavirus
- Southern Grampians Shire: www.sthgrampians.vic.gov.au
- Moyne Shire Council: www.moyne.vic.gov.au
- Glenelg Shire Council: www.glenelg.vic.gov.au
- Corangamite Shire Council: www.corangamite.vic.gov.au
- Your State Sporting Association should also have guidance on Return To Play plans and what level of activity is permitted.
Develop Your CovidSafe / Return to Play Plan
Using the links and resources found on VicSport’s website, develop a plan that is relevant for your club and sport.
Take note of restrictions on spectator numbers, mask wearing, sharing of equipment, sanitisation and cleaning, entry and exit points, attendance records, and the serving of food and drinks.
Set Your Return Date
Once you’re clear on the requirements on resuming play, and you’ve got your safety plans in place, now you can circle a date on the calendar and let everyone know you’re back!
Ensure Your Volunteers Are Trained / Aware
A key component of your club’s CovidSafe/Return To Play Plan will be the management of participants and shared equipment, particularly in regard to wearing of masks, physical distancing, and cleaning of equipment and high touch areas.
Each club volunteer will need to know what their role and responsibility is; your CovidSafe Officer may oversee this to ensure all sessions are conducted safely in line with your plan.
Communicate with Your Members
Your existing members need to know you’re back! Don’t forget to get in touch with them!
Some members may be apprehensive about a return to play. Sharing your CovidSafe Plan will help demonstrate the precautions your club has in place, and what the expectations are of the club, players, and spectators.
Share with Us and the Community That Your Club is Back!
Many people have been isolated throughout 2020, both physically and socially.
Some people will have missed an entire season of their preferred sport, and may be looking for a competitive outlet, whilst others may have badly missed human interaction and be looking for some new connections. Consider the different offerings you can have at your club to encourage new players.
South West Sport is encouraging all clubs to show us that your sport is back! Post online and tag South West Sport so we can see the way that your club is ready to welcome people back. You may like to create a short “virtual tour” video, take photos, or interview some members who are excited to be coming back. We will share across our platforms and help spread the message that Sport’s Back!