The lead-up to Christmas is a great time for summer sporting clubs to celebrate the success of the first half of the season and do some fundraising with barbeques and other festive events.
With this in mind, it’s important for clubs to remember the Good Sports “safe celebrating” tips.
1. Promote your club’s Code of Conduct before the event so everyone knows what’s expected.
2. Ensure club members are being served by RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) trained bar staff.
3. Avoid table service and “topups” as it makes it harder for your club members to keep track of how many drinks they’ve had.
4. Stop serving alcohol during speeches or presentations. This reduces the chance of high levels of intoxication.
5. Provide plenty of free water, soft drink and other non-alcoholic drinks.
6. Provide plenty of food options and ensure everyone’s dietary requirements are catered for.
7. Provide safe transport options such as taxi vouchers, mini bus or designated drivers and communicate this prior to the event.
8. Hold a debrief session after the event to assess how it all went and to consider what you can do differently next year.
9. Have fun!
Some extra things to consider:
Good Sports wishes everyone a safe and happy Christmas and New Year!
– See more at: Good Sports